Thursday, April 3, 2014

Midsommar Flower Crown Tutorial

Happy Spring, everyone!

Remember when I made a bazillion flower crowns last year for the Midsommar Fair? Well, we're not able to travel over to Kingsburg this Spring for the fair [maybe next year!], so instead I'm sharing this tutorial so you can make your very own flower crown!


You will need:

Floral wire: heavy-duty wire (comes in sticks as seen below) and the more pliable wound wire
Silk flowers - variety of colors/whatever you like

To start:
Take two pieces of the heavy-duty floral wire and twist both ends together to make a circle. Use your own head to determine how big you want your circle to be. This will be your crown base.


Break off pieces of your silk flowers in about 2-3 inch increments. Using the pliable, green floral wire, secure the silk flowers to your crown base.


Continue securing the silk flowers around the crown base with the floral wire. I like to keep the flowers all going the same direction (see photo below). I also like to overlap the flowers so there aren't large gaps in between.


You can always go back and layer more flowers if it doesn't look as full as you'd like. And if you so desire, you could always wrap over the floral wire with green floral tape. I usually don't do this part, but if you want to hide more of the wire (especially if you don't have a very full crown), it makes it look a little more finished.

Wear your crown and be glad it's finally Spring!



6 comments:

  1. lovely ~ I was hoping you were going to show a modeled photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I love this!! It has always pained me - the idea of cutting so many flowers and letting them wilt in a crown. Now I can have flowers and no wilting!!! Great tutorial. AND I just love the picture of you wearing your flower crown.

    Actually, my MIL gave me an old braided "hippie" head band and I have been thinking of sticking flower stems in that! Now for sure I will!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! :) I'd love to see your MIL's braided headband with flowers!! Be sure to post it! :)

      Delete
  3. I need make these with my girls!! Your photo is adorable !!

    ReplyDelete