Monday, November 15, 2010

Ho-Ho-Ho Gift Bag


Christmas is quickly approaching and we're all trying to figure out cheap, yet cute, ideas for gift wrapping. This gift bag is super quick and easy (for all-level sewers). It seriously took me 15 minutes to put together. It would be perfect to stow a bottle of bubbly that you bring to your next holiday party. And after it serves its purpose as a gift bag, you could throw a bunch of candy canes in it and have it out for a cute little table decoration.

So, gather your materials and let's get started!

1. Turn on your favorite Christmas music.

2. Cut out all your felt pieces and heat up your glue gun. Adjust the size as needed for your gifts.

3. Fold your piece of red felt in half. I find I don't need to pin felt when I sew because it automatically kinda sticks together. But if it makes you feel better, go ahead and pin the sides together.

4. Sew along the 2 outer edges, leaving the opening across from your folded edge open.

5. Open the bag up (but keep the bag wrong-side out) and measure 1.5" from the corner. Sew across the corner. This is to help the bag stand up on its own when finished.

6. Turn the bag right-side out. Your corner should look like this:

7. Hot glue your handles to the inside of the bag. Or you could sew them, if you prefer.


8. Hot glue the white band of felt around the top of the bag. Work in 3-4 inch increments to ensure a straight edge.

9. Hot glue the white, felt circles onto the center of the bag. Center and glue evenly-spaced.


10. Turn up your Christmas music. Dance.


11. Stuff your bag with holiday goodies and deliver to someone you love!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kathryn! Thanks for visiting my blog. I've struggled with the whole wrapping thing too. I usually use cloth (buying an appropriately coloured thrifted sheet for the Christmas gifts) but this year I don't want to spend any money at all on wrapping materials. I considered newspaper; but then I was giving a huge roll of white paper and I have a ton of red ribbon so it looks like this year I'm going to back to paper wrapping. Good job on this fun bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! You should also check out this: http://www.newspaperbagproject.com/ it shows you how to fold a gift bag out of newspaper (or white paper! :) ), it's super easy too! Happy wrapping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute bag! I have to admit that the idea of getting out my abandoned sewing machine makes the whole process seem rather intimidating . . . but the results are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable! What a fun gift to deliver a present in. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Great idea instead of wrapping presents... I'd love to get one of these! (Yes, and give one...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am assuming you also sew along the bottom of the bag on the fold. Doesn't say anything about that here.

    ReplyDelete