Friday, January 25, 2013

Antique finds

I shared a little bit about my and Ryan's little trip last weekend, and promised another post with our antique finds.  Here is that promised post!

Ryan and I always try to go in at least 1 or 2 antique stores when we are visiting a new town.  It's something we started to do back when we first started dating. Ryan would always help me look for Shelley cups for my mom.  He quickly developed a keen eye for them and we always had fun finding interesting things.

So when we took our little trip last weekend, one of the first things we did was look up some nearby antique stores.  The first one we went to was called Window Box Antiques in Camarillo. One of the most exciting finds for me there was this:


I have seen this cookbook popping up all over the web, but it's so hard to find a reasonably-priced copy out there. Even on Amazon, a "new" version goes for $60! That's a little too rich for my blood. So that's why when Ryan and I went into the Window Box Antiques (one of the best organized antique stores I've ever been in!), I was astonished to see that little buddy for only $16...on sale!!! I may or may not have let out a high pitched yelp. Ok, I totally did.

Needless to say, I quickly snatched it up, took it home, and tried out the Brazilian Coffee Cookies. Yum. They were pretty darn tasty. Very crispy which I enjoyed for a change.  The perfect coffee-dunking cookie (or "cooky" as Betty Crocker refers to them) if you will. 


I thought it would be hard to top that purchase.  But we forged on and found this little beauty (also at Window Box):


Ryan and I are collecting different antique plates for our china.  I'm excited for the day when we have enough to have a fancy dinner party and can set our table with our hodgepodge of plates. I love the blue.  Even though it's from England, it looks Scandinavian to me.  Then again, I think a lot of things look Scandinavian, maybe because I just want everything to have some kind of Scandinavian flare. 

And last, but certainly not least, we found this awesome old suitcase. Brass hinges and everything. Sorry for the terrible, grainy photo of it below. It measures 35" by 20" and when I saw it I instantly thought that we could make it into a coffee table (maybe someone else had the same idea...see the ring on top? haha)! So we bought it with plans of building a wooden base to set it on.  






I told my mom all about our finds and mentioned our old suitcase we were going to make into a coffee table. Then yesterday, I got a text from my mom (so technology-savy, isn't she?!) saying she was in Pottery Barn and saw an old suitcase turned coffee table displayed there!  Pottery Barn's table is $699.  Needless to say, I'm glad we bought our suitcase for $15. 


All in all, we had great success antiquing this time around.  Sometimes we don't find anything.  It's always fun to score some sweet deals and relish in some nostalgia. 

Happy Friday people! WOOO!

9 comments:

  1. you can never go wrong with blue and white! I love those old Betty Crocker cookbooks, they are so much fun! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kareena! Blue and white is a great color combo. :)

      Delete
  2. When I saw the cookie cookbook, I immediately thought of my mother because she had one. Lovely blue & white plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! What were some of your mom's go-to cookie recipes from the book?

      Delete
  3. I have MY mom's copy of the "Cooky Book". It was her original and was falling apart so she got a new copy... of course this was now many years ago! I found a copy for my daughter a couple of years ago so the tradition carries on. And in my book it's easy to find the family recipes... since the pages are so worn :)

    ~Chris

    PS LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that trunk/table idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so neat! What are some of your favorite recipes from the Cooky book??

      Delete
  4. This is so neat Kathryn! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds, Kathryn! That version of cooky book is really hard to find, and it's good that you found a copy at a slightly lower price. Antique items are usually costly; it's because you're not actually paying for the item but the tradition and the authentic recipe that you're going to pass to the future generation.

    Lorita @Manchester Coin & Jewelry

    ReplyDelete