Saturday, April 28, 2012

So scone me!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have one heck of a husband.  He is so willing to eat anything I put in front of him and at least pretend that he likes it.  Even when I've been feeding him vegetarian food for 3 days straight and making him eat millet muffins for breakfast.  I mean, he is a trooper.  A freakin' trooper I tell you.

So I felt like he deserved a little weekend treat.  Enter: vanilla-blueberry scone with vanilla icing.


Ok, so I did make them with whole wheat flour...but there's icing on top!


Thank you, Ryan, for putting up with all my cooking shenanigans.

Whole wheat vanilla-blueberry scones w/vanilla icing
adapted from the here
1  cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 salt
5 Tbl butter
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup skim milk
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract*
1 cup blueberries

For icing:

about 2 tsp vanilla extract*
about 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Mix all dry ingredients together (except for icing ingredients).   Cut in butter.  Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl then mix with the dry ingredients.  Fold in blueberries.  Make a disk with the dough and place in the center of a greased, baking sheet.  Cut into eighths. Bake at 375 for 20 - 25 minutes.  While baking, make icing.  Mix 2 ingredients until you reach your desired consistency.  I like mine a little thicker than most icings. Immediately remove from pan and drizzle icing on top.

*I finally started using the vanilla extract I made a few months back and FYI it works great!

2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing with the glaze and berries! I can't believe I've never made scones before. I really need to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. blueberry scones - this looks intriguing! i have to try!
    thanks for sharing x x

    ReplyDelete