Saturday, January 14, 2012

DIY Vanilla Extract


If you haven't noticed, I love baking.  One of the things I don't enjoy about baking sometimes is the price of the ingredients, mainly pure extracts. That stuff is expensive. So what better way to cut down the cost than to make your own?!  I decided to start with making my own vanilla extract.

You will need:
1 - 2 vanilla beans
Approx. 1 cup vodka
1 glass jar to store your extract

It is actually surprisingly easy.  It's just vodka + 1 split vanilla bean.


I used 1.5 Madagascar vanilla beans to make the extract. First, cut your vanilla bean in half lengthwise so that it will fit into your glass jar.  Then cut along the bean exposing the inside.

Then put your beans in a clean, glass jar. I reused an old jam jar. Pour vodka over your beans. I read that you should use about 1/3 cup vodka per bean. I used almost a full cup for my 1.5 vanilla beans. I then made sure all my beans were fully submerged in the vodka.




Now, it's just time to wait until all that vanilla goodness is sucked out and into the vodka, about 2 months stewing time. And when you think of it, give it a gentle shake every once and a while.

Here it is after 1 month of stewing.  You can see it's already much darker from all that vanilla-y goodness.


I'll be sure to let you know how it compares to the store bought variety when I can use it in a month.  It smells sweet and delicious already!


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Oooh I'm gona try this. Bulk barn has 2 beans in a pkg for 4.75 and I already have the vodka on hand. Thanks..I'll let u know how mine turns out.
    I also have a $3 off coupon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great deal you scored on vanilla beans! Nice! :)

    ReplyDelete